It all started in mid-August 2019 when we removed the trunk liner. We knew in advance that we would find rust from a gas-tank repair completed earlier in the year. (Incidentally, that repair involved sending the tank to a shop in Skakopee, MN who specializes in projects such as re-coating gas tanks - so the gas tank is like new)...
After removing the trunk liner, we found more rust than we originally expected. At no time during the project did we turn a blind eye - as rust is our enemy, we kept at it... relentlessly, tirelessly (well, sometimes not all that tirelessly).
And, as is the case with many classic car restorations, we found we had to remove a large portion of the trunk and floor pans. While the photos may look severe, we actually did not have all that much to replace compared to many restorations!
What followed next was a methodical process. We went over the ENTIRE car. As you will see from the videos above and photos below, we even addressed "spot welds" from both prior repairs and even some from the factory, making sure every seam in the car qualified as a "perfect weld".
- Spot weld in the new metal
- Pre-drill holes and secure the metal (using sheet metal screws to keep it exactly in place so it does not move when super-heated during the welding step)
- Weld it in perfectly
- Remove the sheet metal screws
- Fill in the holes from the screws with spot welds
- Grind it all down so it's smooth